Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pouring concrete - September 2006

So after a couple of days of prep work we called Alpine and scheduled to have the concrete delivered.

They added something to the concrete to keep it from setting up on the 80 mile trip to our cabin. I'm can't remember what it was but it might have been fly ash.

I told the truck driver he could drive anywhere he wanted except for the one sotol that we wanted to keep, he immediately ran over the sotol. (This is right before he ran over the sotol, which you can see in the lower right hand corner.)






It was a fairly cool morning and actually went smoother than I thought it would.





Here's to a good start on our cabin!








3 comments:

  1. wow...great job. One man gang concrete pour & finish crew. Good it was an early morn delivery and pour. I assume it's held together well since then, with minimal cracking.?

    Looking forward to more posts.

    Bigfoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder what a truckload of 2500PSI mix costs from Alpine these days....probably only one redi-mix plant in Alpine. and delivery to 60 miles south has to be a big ticket.

    I need to form and pour a 20' x 20' carport area....but only need 5 CY...about half a truck.

    That admixture they used for you was probably a "retarder" to allow more time to get it leveled out and finished off.

    keep these blogs coming..!!!

    B'foot

    ReplyDelete
  3. B'foot - thanks for the comments.

    I imagine a truckload costs quite a bit now. I remember that it wasn't cheap back in '06. There was a minimum amount, I think it was somewhere around 5 cubic yards...maybe 6 or 7?

    It has held up great since we poured it, no cracks at all. I think keeping it covered and wet for 3 days helped. It was an expensive slab, but I'm really glad we choose to go with it.

    ReplyDelete